SOWELA Technical Community College provides traditional, distance, and lifelong learning experiences and awards associate degrees, technical diplomas, and certificates that empower learners in transfer, career, and technical education to excel as globally competitive citizens.
SOWELA Technical Community College models excellence in teaching, training, and service.
SOWELA Technical Community College values: Student Success, Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Access, and Diversity.
Technical education deals with knowledge, skills, and attitudes that prepare the individual for a specific occupation or vocation. To assist in the accomplishment of this task, the Southwest Louisiana Trade School was established by the Louisiana Legislature in 1938, and in 1940, classes began in five programs of training. In 1962, the name was changed to SOWELA Technical Institute due to expansion of facilities, growth of the student body, increased curricula, and the need for additional technical education.
In 1971, SOWELA Technical Institute gained significant recognition upon its accreditation by the Commission on Occupational Education Institutions of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools - one of the most prestigious educational accrediting agencies in the United States.
SOWELA Technical Institute moved to its present location in January 1980. The institute was renamed SOWELA Regional Technical Institute in March 1990, as it served as the regional center for Region Five.
Another milestone was reached on July 27, 1995, when the school was renamed Louisiana Technical College - SOWELA Campus. SOWELA was among the largest and most progressive post-secondary technical colleges in the state.
The Louisiana Community and Technical College System Board of Supervisors changed the status of Louisiana Technical College - SOWELA Campus to SOWELA Technical Community College effective July 1, 2003.
Service Area of the Campus
SOWELA is located at 3820 Sen. J. Bennett Johnston Avenue in Lake Charles, Louisiana. This campus is located in Calcasieu Parish and serves citizens of Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, and Jeff Davis Parishes.